Halloween day means candy party for kids. Post-Halloween means chocolate sales for oldies (XD) who are too old for trick-or-treating but need to satisfy their sweet teeth. So being a chocolate lover, my boyfriend bought a whole bunch of Coffee Crisps on sale which became my source of inspiration for this blog entry. I also wanna apologize for not updating this blog as often as I like, I didn’t have a chance to bake due to midterms and school stuff (sigh), but its over! Well not really :(, but for a short while. Yes, coffee crisps are delicious by themselves, (that’s why I can’t give precise amount of coffee crisps I used for this recipe because we kept on eating them during baking, oops XD) but Coffee Crisps combined with more chocolate and Starbucks coffee (it helps to bring out the chocolate flavour) is even yummier! This is my first time making cupcakes and I definitely need to improve on my piping techniques significantly =P.
Coffee Crisp Cupcakes (adapted from Kit Kat Mocha Cupcakes)
For the cupcake:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature (I used Starbucks regular coffee)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 big bars of coffee crisps and a few small Halloween snack size ones, chopped into small cubes
For the Icing:
1/2 cup of butter, at room temperature
1 cup of icing sugar
4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
2-3 teaspoons of cream to reach desired consistency
- Preheat to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with liners, or lightly grease pan to prevent sticking
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk, brewed coffee and vanilla.
- Beat the butter and sugars together with mixer on med-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture, ending with the flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. In each cupcake liner drop few Coffee Crisps cubes, pressing down so only one side of the square is visible. You want them to be inside the cupcake while it’s cooking. Bake for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool before icing cupcakes.
- Prepare the icing, and spread on top of the cupcake. After icing the cupcakes, crush up as many Coffee Crisps as you want and sprinkle on the frosting on the cupcakes in the pieces.