I love baking with lemon. The fresh scent of lemon just makes me wish that summer is here already. The green grass, the flip flops, the beach, the skirts, the flowers, picnics….and Micky mouse and Minnie mouse, and Cinderella, and Goofy and Pooh and ….. Why Disney characters you ask? Because I will be going to Disney world for grad trip!!!! Oh summer, please please come soon 🙂
Anyways back to baking, so these pretty cupcakes are fun to make. I especially had fun piping the rose top icing.I used the Wilton 1M tip and started from center and move in circular motion towards outside, and viola! A pretty rose top. I also like how these cupcakes are not over powered by the lemony tartness because of the lemon syrup that is brushed on top after the cupcake is baked.
Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes (Adapted from: Lick the Bowl Good)
For the cupcake:
1 1/2 cup of cake flour
3/4 cup +2 tablespoons of white granulated sugar
2 1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
1/2 cup butter (softened at room temperature)
zest of half of large lemon
1/2 cup +1/8 cup of buttermilk
2 1/2 egg whites
For the lemon syrup:
1/3 cup of water
1/4 cup sugar
juice of a lemon
For the cream cheese icing:
4 ounces of cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cup icing sugar
half of lemon zest
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 12-well muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix gently to combine. Add the butter, lemon zest and 1/2 cup of buttermilk to the flour. Beat on low until completely mixed. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 1-2 minutes until lighter in color.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg whites with the remaining 1/8 cup buttermilk, whisk to blend thoroughly. Add the egg white mixture to the batter in 2-3 additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl and beating only enough to incorporate the mix. Divide the batter between cupcake tins
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the cakes are golden brown, spring back when touched lightly in the centre, and a cake tester comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make a lemon syrup.
For the syrup:
- In a small pan combine the remaining ¼ cup sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Generously brush the cakes with the lemon syrup while they are still warm. Then allow the cakes to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well between each addition. Add lemon zest and then continue to beat well for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Frost those cupcakes with your favourite icing tip!