I had a cupcake order this week for the bf’s coworker goodbye party. I am so happy to be baking cupcakes for her because she was my first customer! I made the pink and green cupcakes for her daughter’s one year old birthday. That was when I just started to make cupcakes. I am so thankful for her and her husband’s belief in me and continuous support of my baking endeavors. So I gotta make something good for her! I decided to go with my favourite chocolate cupcake with a nutella buttercream frosting and these gold oreo cupcakes.
This cupcake was inspired by the cupcake goddess Your cup of cake. She uses cake mixes and turns them into delicious masterpieces. I love her creativity! One of my favourite cupcake invention from her is the cinnamon toast crunch cupcake. Cereal and cupcake?! Such a good idea.
I always feel guilty for baking with cake mixes so I used a homemade yellow cake instead of yellow cake mix. I found a yellow cupcake recipe from Annie’s eats. I cut the recipe in half because I only needed to make 12. The golden oreo took up some room in the cupcake liner so I ended making 16 regular sized cupcakes. I also didn’t want to make more than 12 at once because I want to avoid over mixing the batter which will lead to tough/dry cupcakes.
Golden oreo cupcakes
For the cupcake:
14-16 Golden Oreos
1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz.) unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup (7 oz.) granulated sugar
1 cup (8 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners. Place an Oreo on the bottom of each liner.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to blend.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar and butter. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Blend in the eggs and egg yolks one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, blend together the sour cream and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mixing each addition just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners. Bake until the cupcakes are just set and pale golden, about 20-22 minutes. Let cool in the pan about 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the cream cheese frosting
4 oz. cream cheese (keep cold to avoid frosting from spreading too much)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 teaspoons heavy cream
1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
Extra Golden Oreos for decoration
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract, milk and 1 cup powdered sugar and beat again.
- Continue to add more powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes (I used a large round tip) and top with an extra Golden Oreo (full or half)!