I sincerely apologize for this period of silence in my cozy oven. The past month have just been non stop exams, papers, and presentations. YESH finally it is officially done! I have officially finished my 4 years of undergrad!!! WOHOOOOoo =). So as grad trip my friends and I went to the magical land of Disney and Harry Potter land in Universal island of adventures (which also adds to my period of absence away from the oven). It was such an awesome trip, just simply magical. Now I am back! And I present to you my these magical fluffy blackberry bars. Nom Nom! The fluffy marshmallow topping really adds a different texture to these delicious bars. Try it out!
Blackberry Bars (Adapted from Smitten’s Kitchen)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of one lemon
4 cups fresh blackberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blackberries. Sprinkle the blackberries mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown.
- Spread marshmallows on top of the baked bars and place it under the broiler (low) for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows starts to brown on top (be careful don’t let it burn!).
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.