Every time I return to Ottawa, I always end up baking Asian inspired sweets due to my family’s Asian pantry items. For example, sesame is a typical Asian ingredients because of its high health values. My mom and grandma always told me to eat more sesame because its makes your hair more black. Haha =P, I am not too sure about that but I am sure that it is high in minerals, vitamins, and dietary fibre for healthy bones and weight management!
I personally love the smell and taste of sesame, I love the delicate crunch and nutty taste (and smell!) it adds to dishes. So I present to you my black sesame bread! To be honest, this recipe was an accidental discovery. I was trying to make Black sesame brownies, but I didn’t have butter so I substituted margarine. I also didn’t have my square baking pan (back in toronto) so I used a loaf pan, which extended the baking time due to a thicker batter in the pan. So here is my recipe for my healthy black sesame bread!
My recipe evaluation:
- Pros: right amount of sweetness with nuttiness, love the crunch that sesame adds to this bread, sesame explosion in mouth!
- Cons: just a tiny bit on the dry side, probably because I didn’t end up using all of the margarine it said to use. Also maybe increase temperature to decrease baking time?
Black Sesame Bread (Adapted from Pig Pig’s Corner)
2/3 cup of margarine (melted)
1/2 cup of black sesame seeds (toasted)
5/8 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
7/8 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon of black or white sesame for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees F.
- Combine melted margarine and sesame seeds in a blender or food processor, blend until a paste is formed (this smells delicious, which I can capture the smell on my camera).
- Add sesame paste to a pot on medium heat. Add sugar and soy sauce, stir until fragrant. Take it off the heat and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Mix in egg 1 by 1.
- Mix flour with the baking soda. Fold flour mixture into the sesame paste mixture.
- Pour batter into lightly greased loaf pan and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for 30-35 min until insert toothpick and it comes out clean.